Onward to Chemo!

The 2 days before she got the stitches out (12 days post surgery) Doxie was just like her old self again! She was running up and down the hall, hopping up on the window sill to look outside, and bark at the mailman 🙂

She was not happy to go back to the vet to get the stitches out, she knows where we are when we pull in the parking lot….lol…poor thing starts to shake every time. Stitches were out and Vet said the incision looked good and now on to chemo!

She had her first chemo treatment on Monday (4/3/17) and she will have a total of 6 treatments, one every 3 weeks with blood work in-between to monitor her white blood cell counts. She is getting Carboplatin administered through IV so we drop her off in the morning and pick her up on our way home from work. She was very groggy when we picked her up but she was running for the door and wanted to get home! We got her home and up the stairs into bed with the help of the harness (since she was still really groggy from the sedative used to keep them calm and still for the IV) and she passed out and didn’t move until about 10pm when I started to give her a few kibbles of her food (she hadn’t even been interested in eating dinner before then). She started whining about 11pm and then we brought her her food and water dish and she ate, slowly, but she ate which was good. Started whining again after that but soon stopped and fell asleep again.

Very lethargic the next morning….we mixed a packet of the probiotic powder the vet gave us with her food and I don’t think she’s a big fan of it, or she still is having a bit of a poor appetite.  She ate about half her food and seemed pretty weak, she had some crazy burps come out so I gave her a dose of the anti-nausea meds from the vet and that seemed to help.  She has gone #1 but no #2 yet, which is a bit odd. I brought her to work with me and she slept in the corner of my office and hardly moved at all. She seemed to get a little more active around 4pm and when we got home a little after 5pm she ate the rest of her breakfast and her whole dinner and had a bully stick. So appetite is back and she seems to have more energy by the hour. Still no #2…… : /

And now I’m caught up to today! She ate 90% of her breakfast this morning and no crazy burbs, much more peppy this morning and was waiting by the top of the stairs to go to work with me. Still no #2, but my work must have done the trick because right when we got there she started hopping to the back door and success! She’s been napping on and off today but more active and hopped around the office once or twice to get petted and treats from my coworkers. 🙂

Blood work on Tuesday is next and then 2nd chemo treatment on the 24th – we can do this!


Amy & Doxie <3

Doxie enjoying a nap after her stitches were removed 3/23/2017
Doxie & my niece – summer of 2016

2 thoughts on “Onward to Chemo!

  1. After reading your fears of her not doing #2, I can definitely relate. It took our girl Carly 6 days before she did #2. And that first week was so heartbreaking. We were wondering if we made the right decision because she was just not herself, sleeping all the time. BUT, once some of the medicine wore off, within that first week she was up and about like a pro! I am so thankful for the stories on Tripawd because I know I’m not alone! High Paws to Doxie for being a strong girl!

    Carly and Mama!

  2. Whew! I was getting nervous as I read about her side effects, but I’m so happy to hear things are better. Yep, it was definitely going to work with you that did the trick. Here’s to more days ahead with your canine CEO! She looks great.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *